Introduction

My name is Ben Hulin, and I am from South Bend, IN. This last year I completed classes at Bethel College and received my Health and Physical Education teaching license in Indiana. I am starting this blog to chart some of my activities. Many of you know that I participate in everything I participated in before my motorcycle accident, but now do them in different ways. This blog will show some of the activities, competitions, and different races I am involved in. Please comment or ask questions as we go. I am more than happy to explain things in detail. Thanks for following.

Sunday, November 14, 2010

First Day on the Snow

This week we started work as a group at the ski and snowboard center right on Park City Mountain Resort.  The National Ability Center has a double wide on mountain where we have offices and equipment.  It is very accessible for when lessons start.  I spent Monday through Thursday at the center.  It was good being involved and getting stuff done.

On Thursday, Caleb and I were talking about the upcoming ski season. He said that a couple of resorts had opened down near Salt Lake.  The weather patterns through the canyons get more early snow than Park City.  We decided late on Thursday night to give it a shot.  I woke up and made some calls on Friday and we decided to shoot out early and get on the mountain.  It was a great choice.
This is the view of our drive up the canyon to get to Brighton Ski Resort.  It was a 45 minute drive from Park City.  The views on the drive up were pretty stellar as well.

This was the first picture on the mountain.  I think it was the first ride up.  I had a new ski on my rig and it worked pretty well except for the binding kept popping out.  I will have to fix that before I ski on that ski again.  Caleb was pretty patient and helped out a lot on the first day on the mountain.  We did one run were it was really bumpy and not groomed.  I had a tough time of it during that run but the rest of the day was well worth the trip.
This is a picture on the top of the mountain.  If you look picture left, the town of Heber is down mountain.  It was funny looking at all the places that had no snow.  Brighton made a good amount of snow and had some natural stuff as well.  They had two lifts open and about six runs but it was better than any Indiana / Michigan skiing.
Here is one last picture.  The funniest part of the day was when we went to get tickets at the ticket booth.  The lady said, "I assume you would like a fifty percent off disabled ski pass."  I did not know what to say.  I just shook my head and smiled.  Man it pays to ride a mono-ski.  So I got about four hours of mountain skiing for half the price.  Not bad, not bad.  Park City Mountain Resort opens in a little over a week so I can't wait to ski for free on my season pass I got last week.  Skiing is only going to get better, and I look forward to it.

Onto other good news, Notre Dame romped over the Utah team on Saturday.  I have never been more proud to wear my shirts, jackets, hats and whatever else I have that says Notre Dame.  GO IRISH!

1 comment:

  1. AH! Looks sweet! We can't wait to get out there. Visit bit.ly/aE5h5G and try the new 'ski to slopes' tab and see how long it takes to get to your favorite slopes. Let us know how you like it.

    ReplyDelete