Introduction

My name is Ben Hulin, and I am from South Bend, IN. This last year I completed classes at Bethel College and received my Health and Physical Education teaching license in Indiana. I am starting this blog to chart some of my activities. Many of you know that I participate in everything I participated in before my motorcycle accident, but now do them in different ways. This blog will show some of the activities, competitions, and different races I am involved in. Please comment or ask questions as we go. I am more than happy to explain things in detail. Thanks for following.

Sunday, October 10, 2010

10 / 10 / 10

Today was the Chicago Marathon.  I missed it because of the travel day that I would have had to take off of work.  Chicago was the first marathon I ever did and was hoping to keep it a yearly consecutive race but it was out of my control.  I was able to give my bib number to a friend who pushed his first marathon so the bib was used.  Here is all of my bibs for the past couple of years.

This was the first full week of work.  It seemed a lot like staff training at Camp Tecumseh minus the other 100 counselors.  There are six AmeriCorps workers and we trained through the different National Ability Center procedures.  We did a lot of team building activities that I either led, or participated in at Camp Tecumseh.  It was interesting to see how different and similar team building and facilitating  goes.  Here is the group of AmeriCorps after a team building exercise.

Andrea, Erica, Erin, Michelle and Laura.  Our AmeriCorps Director Kim did not make the cut.  Sorry.

On Tuesday I took Toby out in the morning to the park and it was a little bit chilly.  I turned around and looked mountain side and there was a good dusting on the ground.  It was exciting, and I literally can't wait for the mountain to be covered so I can get my ski on.

Part of AmeriCorps is doing different volunteer hours.  I started this weekend at the Park City Film Series and at Recycle Utah.  The Park City Film Series was really cool this weekend.  They showed "The Way I See It."  It was an opening ski film and showed some stellar athletes skiing some pretty crazy mountains.  They had athletes there on Friday and I was able to score some autographed posters and some pretty sweet ski gloves as well.

Here is Toby in the park.  He is getting along with most of the other dogs in the park but we have yet to cross the line of getting along with the rommies cat.  I will keep you posted.


 Here is a token shot of me from the park.  My house is on the the left of my right shoulder.  It is a pretty cool place with some pretty cool views.
Here is the view of the mountains and some of the neighborhood without me in the picture.  Come on snow.

Well that does it for the week.  It was a good week.  I am eager to get into the groove of working on stuff and putting my own spin on different things but it was good getting involved in some of the volunteer opportunities and meeting some pretty cool people along the way.  On Saturday morning we as an AmeriCorps team worked with a camp that specializes in reaching out to participants with different needs.  There were about 15 participants and we worked with them in a craft activity and a horse back riding activity.  Here is the team again before we worked with the camp.

Erin, Laura Andrea, Erica, Michelle, and me.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that you have a great place to live, I love the mountain views.

    ReplyDelete